Becoming a Field Agency
Rutgers, School of Social Work has worked with hundreds of agencies across the country. Our partners range from hospital systems to community non-profits to schools to faith-based organization and many others. We are always looking to make new connections for placements as our student body is continuously evolving.
For any agencies or social workers who might be interested in partnering with us to host MSW student interns, please complete this form. Once we receive your form, a field representative will be in touch with you to learn more about your program and needs.
What we look for in a field agency:
- Provide students the opportunity to develop an identity as a professional social worker and conduct themselves accordingly by providing learning experiences that enable the student to demonstrate the nine competencies
- Provide students with an orientation to the agency, its services, personal safety, policies and procedures and the community
- Provide a qualified MSW Field Instructor for each student. The Field Agency should support the Field Instructor in assigning the student a sufficient number and variety of assignments for learning
- If the Field Instructor has never supervised a student, she or he must take the Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI) course concurrently with the student’s placement
- Field Instructors must be in compliance with all state licensing laws and regulations for their scope of practice as defined by their state Board of Social Work Examiners and the regulations of the agency
Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI)
Rutgers offers an online course in field instruction, also known as SIFI, that offers 20 CEU’s for your participation. The online course runs throughout the year and is self-paced, offering the opportunity to learn more about the supervision process, as well as the field placement process. The course consists of eight units, each having a presentation, readings and a Unit Quiz. The version we offer includes specific information to the 100% online and Blended MSW programs. Participants will receive 20 continuing education units upon completion of the program.
If you have questions about becoming a field partner, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.