MSW Application Requirements
Eligible candidates for admission to the School of Social Work should have:
- Completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited undergraduate institution
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Social work experience is advantageous, but not required.
Note: Applicants to the Advanced Standing programs must also demonstrate competency in all undergraduate social work courses.
- Visit Graduate and Professional Admissions to fill out the online application.
- After submitting your application, check your application status online.
- A non-refundable $70 application fee is required. Details about payment can be found in graduate application requirements.
- Transcripts, letters and other application materials should be submitted by the priority deadline to ensure full consideration.
- All application materials for the School of Social Work should be sent to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions in New Brunswick. Regardless of whether you intend to take classes at Newark, Camden, or an off-site location, all materials must be sent to the New Brunswick address listed below.
Mail/submit all admission supporting materials to:
The Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions
56 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Phone: (848) 932-7711
Applications are considered complete and will be reviewed only when all of the following materials have been received
- Three current, professional Letters of Recommendation*
- Official Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- A Current Resume
- Undergraduate field placement evaluation (advanced standing applicants only)
*Applicants to the Intensive Weekend program must include one letter of recommendation from their current supervisor.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be current and come from individuals who are familiar with your academic and/or professional experiences and abilities. If you are a recent graduate or are currently enrolled in school, we recommend that you seek letters from faculty members. If this is not possible, consider asking individuals who are able to address your current work, abilities and your potential to succeed in graduate school and in the field of social work.
The most valuable letters come from those individuals who you have worked for or volunteered with in some capacity. We are looking for specific information regarding your academic and intellectual abilities, work performance and potential. Letters from friends, family, or professionals that you know on an exclusively social basis should not be submitted.
Letters of recommendation may be submitted by providing your recommenders email address on your application. These individuals will then receive a message providing access to upload their letters. Letters may also be sent directly to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. We request that the envelope seal be signed by the recommendation letter writer to ensure confidentiality.
Applicants must submit official transcripts, from all post-secondary institutions that they have attended, directly to the Graduate Admissions Office. If you are finishing undergraduate course work during the application process then you should send a current transcript. Once coursework is completed, a final official transcript that includes the final grades and the date the degree was conferred is required. Completion of an undergraduate course in statistics is required of all MSW students. If you have taken any Professional Credit Courses through the Continuing Education Department, you must specifically request transcripts to be sent to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. Please do not assume that we are automatically aware you are taking or have taken PCC’s. For additional information about submitting transcripts, see the Graduate Admissions supporting materials guidelines.
The personal statement is a critical part of your admission application because it gives us the opportunity to review your writing skills and provides us with a great deal of information about you, your experiences and your goals. We do not offer individual interviews and often the personal statement will determine your success in the application process. You may submit the personal statement online when you complete your application or you may mail this personal statement separately to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions.
In a three to five page typed narrative, please address the questions below. You may add any additional information that may be helpful to the admissions committee.
- What are your reasons for applying to Rutgers University School of Social Work? Discuss how your personal, professional, and/or community experiences and values affected your decision.
- Select and describe a social problem of concern to you and describe how you believe professional social workers can help alleviate this issue.
- What skills and strengths would you gain from Rutgers University School of Social Work that would help you to address the problem you described in question 2?
- After carefully reviewing the program requirements--including field education hours and course load expectations--please describe how you will manage to fulfill the program requirements, while balancing field education weekday hours and academic work with other life commitments.
A current resume, including degree's completed and all professional positions held must be submitted. Please include any positions of leadership that you have held and ensure that all information is accurate and up-to-date.
For International Applicants
An official transcript translation and evaluation and proof of English language proficiency is required for many applicants with academic history from outside of the United States. Please review our International Applicants page for details about these additional requirements.
For further information, contact us at MSWadmissions@ssw.rutgers.edu or 848-932-7520 Ext 2.