MSW Advanced Standing
If you are an on-campus program advanced standing student, you will complete the program in one year following successful completion of any additional courses required to fulfill the professional foundation. If you are an Intensive Weekend advanced standing student, you will complete the program in two years.
A Note About Timing
Students who are admitted as advanced standing students in our on-campus program must begin in the summer. During this time, they are required to complete two courses and begin a field education placement which will continue throughout the following fall and spring semesters. Students who are admitted into the Advanced Standing Intensive Weekend Program will begin in the fall semester.
Field education is an essential pedagogical component of the MSW education. In the Intensive Weekend Program, the field internship begins in September of the first year and continues to the completion of the program. As you plan your course of study, explore the many field education options available to you.
As you plan your course of studies, explore the following opportunities that are available to you:
- Addiction Counselor Training Certificate Program
- Aging and Health Certificate Program
- Violence Against Women and Children Certificate Program
Use these links to access important information relevant to the on-campus program:
- Advanced Standing Requirements
- Advanced Standing for the Intensive Weekend Program
- Advanced Standing for the 100% Online Program
- (select the document for "Advanced Standing at a Glance")
- eCollege, our Center for Online and Hybrid Learning and Instructional Technologies
- Field Manual
- Program Announcements
Area of Emphasis
All MSW students must choose either a Clinical Social Work or Management and Policy concentration before beginning the advanced program (the second half of the curriculum). In addition to the concentration requirements, you may also wish to develop an area of emphasis. This area of emphasis is a student-identified and student-driven topic, population, or specialization, and involves three relevant courses and a field placement. The courses may include a combination of electives, advanced distribution requirements, and an advanced social policy course. These courses also count toward general academic requirements.
Area of Emphasis
- Social Policy
- International Social Work
- Children, Youth and Families
- Mental and Behavioral Health
- Health Area of Emphasis
- LISTA (Latino/a Initiatives for Service, Training and Assessment)
If you have questions, please call 848-932-7520.