Practicum Learning - 100% Online
Get hands-on work experience
Practicum Learning education is an essential pedagogical component of your MSW education. In the 100% online program, the practicum learning placement begins in either the first semester (two-year option and advanced standing) or in the third semester (three-year option).
Students in the 2-year and 3-year 100% online programs complete two practicum learning placements – a generalist level placement (over three semesters) and an advanced clinical placement (over three or four semesters). Advanced standing students begin placement in their first semester and complete one placement over four semesters (13.5 hours/week). Students will work with the 100% online practicum learning faculty to identify an appropriate practicum learning placement setting. The School has relationships with numerous agencies across the country to meet the interests of online program students.
For 100% Online Students
What can students expect from their practicum learning placement experience?
- To complete a learning contract with the agency that includes tasks and assignments from all of the social work competencies
- To increase their client –facing skills through various experiences
- To submit reflective assignments related to their practicum learning placement experience
- To meet regularly with an MSW supervisor for guidance and mentorship
- To build skills needed to become a professional social worker
- To receive support from the practicum learning education office and a practicum learning liaison throughout placement
- To receive an evaluation of their performance
What forms might be completed during placement?
- Learning contract
- Process Recording
All forms are available in the Canvas practicum learning course students will be enrolled in once they begin their placement.
For Practicum Learning Agency Partners
We are constantly developing new placements across the country which offer a wide range of learning experiences for students. If you are interested in becoming a practicum learning agency partner with us, fill out our agency interest form. Please note: A practicum learning instructor who is interested in partnering with us, does not need to have completed the Seminar in Practicum Learning prior to hosting a student.
Please visit our FAQs page for some common questions about practicum learning education for the 100% online program.
Practicum Learning Hours
2 year (FT) & 3 Year (PT) Programs
3 semesters/11.25 hours per week
450 hours total
Advanced Clinical Placement
3 year (PT) MSW Program
4 semesters/13.5 hours per week
675 hours per week
2 year (FT) MSW Program
3 semesters/16.75 hours per week
675 hours total
Advanced Standing Placement
4 semesters / 13.5 hours per week
675 hours total
Looking for practicum learning placement students?
Becoming a Practicum Learningf Agency
Rutgers School of Social Work has collaborated with hundreds of agencies across the country. Our partners range from hospital systems to community non-profits to schools to faith-based organization and many others. We are always looking to make new connections for placements as our student body is continuously evolving.
For any agencies or social workers who might be interested in partnering with us to host MSW students, please complete this form. Once we receive your form, a practicum learning representative will be in touch with you to learn more about your program and needs.
What we look for in a practicum learning agency
- Provide students the opportunity to develop an identity as a professional social worker and conduct themselves accordingly by providing learning experiences that enable the student to demonstrate the nine competencies
- Provide students with an orientation to the agency, its services, personal safety, policies and procedures and the community
- Provide a qualified MSW Practicum Learning Instructor for each student. The Practicum Learning Agency should support the Practicum Learning Instructor in assigning the student a sufficient number and variety of assignments for learning
- If the Practicum Learning Instructor has never supervised a student, they must take the Seminar in Practicum Learning Instruction course concurrently with the student’s placement
- Practicum Learning Instructors must be in compliance with all state licensing laws and regulations for their scope of practice as defined by their state Board of Social Work Examiners and the regulations of the agency
Seminar in Practicum Learning Instruction
Rutgers offers an online seminar in practicum learning instruction that offers 20 CEU’s for your participation. The asynchronous online course runs throughout the year and is self-paced, offering the opportunity to learn more about the supervision process, as well as the practicum learning placement process. The course consists of nine units, each being interactive and offering various ways to learn about the topic areas. Participants will receive 20 continuing education units upon completion of the seminar.
Questions? Email us! .