Certificate in Aging & Health
Certificate in Aging & Health
Welcome to the MSW Certificate in Aging and Health. Since 2006, Rutgers School of Social Work has been committed to developing a gerontological social work workforce that is prepared to provide leadership and demonstrate excellence in supporting adults as they age. Please watch this video with Certificate Coordinator, Dr. Lauren Snedeker, to learn more about this opportunity.
Why an MSW Certificate in Aging and Health?
The MSW Certificate in Aging & Health provides students with:
- Access to a cohesive community made of peers, professionals and faculty to network and learn with
- Close mentorship from faculty with clinical expertise in the fields of aging, health, and social work practice
- Opportunity to receive more in-depth education about the aging experience, clinical theories, evidence-best practices for this population and their communities
- Opportunity to receive more instruction about working with older adult clients and clients living with acute and/or chronic health conditions
- An enhanced field experience that includes a specific focus on preparing students to work with older adults and in healthcare settings
- Specialization in a discipline of social work that is exponentially growing and in need of more professionals
The MSW Certificate in Aging and Health is open to students:
- In the traditional (campus-based) MSW program, the blended online MSW program, and the 100% Online MSW program (beginning in fall 2024)
- In the clinical social work specialization OR management and policy specialization
- On any of the three Rutgers campuses (Newark, New Brunswick, Camden)
- In the full-time, part-time, or Advanced Standing MSW program
Once Accepted...(click here)
News & Updates
- Read the latest Aging & Health Certificate news and updates in the Spring 2022 newsletter
- Aging & Health Certificate student Halle Sentman shares her experience proposing a bill to support caregivers at her field placement at NJ's District 11 office.
- View recordings of recent events and presentations on our YouTube playlist.
Certificate students must complete Advanced Contemporary Policy: Aging (542). This course is typically taken in the fall semester of the final year in the MSW program. Students must have completed the first half of the MSW program to enroll in this course.
Human behavior distribution course: Certificate students must complete HBSE: Loss across the Lifespan (547) as their Human Behavior distribution requirement. Currently, this course is offered in the spring semester and occasionally in the summer. Students must have completed Practice I (500) and HBSE (502) to enroll in this course.
Typically offered in the fall semester. Students who are in the clinical social work specialization may take this course as their advanced practice distribution course or as a General Elective. Students in the management and policy (MAP) concentration may take this course as one of their General Electives toward the MSW degree. Students must have completed all Professional Foundation courses before enrolling in this course.
Offered in the spring semester. There are no prerequisites for this course. This course will satisfy one of the General Electives for the MSW degree.
Offered in the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students who are in the clinical social work concentration may take course as their advanced practice distribution course or as a General Elective. Students in the management and policy (MAP) concentration may take this course as one of their General Electives toward the MSW degree. Students must have completed all Professional Foundation courses before enrolling in this course.
This course can be taken as a General Elective toward the MSW degree. It is typically offered in the spring semester. There are no prerequisites for this course.
Lauren Snedeker, DSW, LSW, LMSW
Assistant Professor of Teaching, Coordinator for the Aging and Health Certificate Program
390 George Street | Room 610
New Brunswick, NJ 07093
Connect with Lauren to discuss the benefits of the MSW Certificate in Aging and Health, questions around field education, general inquires about working with older adults, and to explore careers in aging.
For questions concerning continuing education programs, email Continuing Education.