Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree with a Social Work Major
Rutgers offers the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree with a social work major through the School of Social Work and the Camden College of Arts and Sciences and the New Brunswick School of Arts and Sciences. This outstanding professional degree program prepares graduates for foundation-level social work practice. The major in social work equivalent to the BSW, BASW, and BSSW degrees and is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Declaring the Social Work Major
Declare the social work major early in the spring semester of your sophomore year to begin classes at the beginning of your junior year. Space is limited in the major and we encourage you to declare your major by February 15th for priority consideration.
Requirements for the social work major:
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Completion of approximately 60 credits of coursework, including general education requirements
- Pre-requisite requirements for the social work major consist of six classes:
- Basic Psychology
- Introduction to Sociology
- Human Biology
- Two courses from the following areas (1 each): anthropology, art, communication/speech, geography, history, literature, music, philosophy, religion or theatre
For more information on how to declare the social work major, click here.
Enrollment in the Social Work Major
All social work majors are assigned a faculty advisor within the School of Social Work. Students must maintain a 3.0 grade-point average in social work courses. In order to graduate, students must have grades of C or better with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 in all social work core-content courses and a 2.0 cumulative grade-point average in the courses making up the liberal arts foundation.
Summer 2020 Student Webinar Series
BASW students are encouraged to attend Rutgers School of Social Work's summer webinar series. From learning about loss and coping during COVID-19 to learning about mindfulness and meditation, the series offers events on a range of topics. Click on the graphic below to learn more.
Social Work and Social Justice Minor (Camden Campus and University College only)
The minor includes 18 credits, three required courses, and a choice of three electives.
Required courses include the following:
- Introduction to Social Work & Social Justice 910:220
- Groups at Risk 910:352
- Professional Development Seminar 910:332
- Introduction to Human Sexuality 910:230
- Global Health Perspectives: Vulnerability, Human Health, and Well-being 910:240
- Child Welfare Services & Practices 910:476
For questions about the social work and social justice minor, contact Dr. Sara Plummer at email@example.com . Students in Schools 50 (College of Arts and Sciences) and 64 (University College) can contact the Office of the Registrar to declare a minor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 856-225-6053.
Study Abroad options
- Social Welfare System in China 910:959
- Israel, an Exploration of People, Places, and Challenges 959:358
- Empowerment Through Community Engagement in the Yucatan 959:396
- Romania's [R]Evolution: Investing in Children and Families Across the Life Cycle 959:396