Doctor of Philosophy in Social Work (Ph.D.)
Welcome to Rutgers School of Social Work! We offer a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program in conjunction with the Graduate School-New Brunswick. Our faculty are ranked 3rd nationally in productivity by Academic Analytics. Rutgers is a member of the highly selective Association of American Universities (AAU) comprised of 62 leading research universities in North America. The Ph.D. program is located in New Brunswick, a dynamic and centrally located learning community that is easy to access from New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. Learn more about life at Rutgers.
Our Ph.D. program prepares you for careers as faculty, research scientists, or policy analysts and offers you:
- mentoring by our exceptional Ph.D. faculty
- a dynamic, diverse, and accomplished student body from across the United States and the world
- strong professional development support, including funding for conferences
- research facilities that rank among the best in our nation
- research opportunities with faculty and institutes in areas including child welfare, poverty, violence against women and children, mental health services, addictions, gambling, international development, prevention, health, and public health
- competitive funding packages for all full-time students
- excellent job placements in academia and research
Applicants should hold a master’s degree in social work or a related discipline. The application deadline is January 15. For an online application and instructions, click here. Questions? Call us at 848-932-5333.
Dual MSW/Ph.D. Program Offered
If you’re interested in applying for our dual MSW/Ph.D. program, click here.
- For further information about the Ph.D. program and curriculum, click here.
- Rutgers Graduate Admissions, click here.
- Financial aid information, click here.
- Tuition and fee information, click here.