By: Laura DiMarcantonio
As the Director of MSW Admissions, I feel very fortunate to welcome an extraordinary new class this fall. The Office of Admissions received over 1,700 applications, and was able to enroll many of the best and brightest new students.
Here are a few highlights from the new class:
- For the second year in a row, the average GPA of our new students has increased.
- Our new students attended a diverse range of undergraduate institutions including, NYU, Oberlin College, Texas A & M University, the University of Calcutta, Rhode Island School of Design, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of Virginia.
- The largest number of new students came from Rutgers (238) and other regional schools including Montclair State University (58), Kean University (26), and Stockton University (17).
- We are welcoming 12 new Deans Excellence Scholars this year. Each scholar was awarded $6,000 to $10,000 based on their outstanding applications. This group boasts an average GPA of 3.8 and includes a Syracuse University graduate who spent the last two years working with refugees in Spain, a University of Maryland graduate with experience researching child therapy techniques at the Kennedy Krieger Institute, and a published author on addiction from Queens College.
- Our new students range in age from 21 to 70 years old.
The ongoing important and far-reaching work of faculty and staff at the School of Social Work remains critical to recruiting these talented students!
For those interested in learning more about the MSW program at Rutgers, please consider attending an upcoming open house on one of the following dates:
More information about open house opportunities, and specific locations and times, can be found here.