All New Traditional (on campus), Intensive Weekend, and Blended students should plan to attend Orientation on August 27th and should come prepared to discuss the assigned readings below. Click here to download the orientation agenda.
Fall orientation for all new students will be on Tuesday, August 27th at the Busch Student Center from 9am-4pm. This will be your opportunity to meet all the faculty and your classmates, learn more about the curriculum, certificates, and special program options. The Busch Student Center is located at 604 Bartholomew Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854-8002. Parking information can be found here.
Each year at Fall MSW Student Orientation, we hold faculty and student discussion groups focused on a pressing social welfare topic. This year our discussion groups will address and focus on the importance, distinction, and interrelatedness of micro and macro social work practice. The attached readings were selected to give students an overview of the general topic area and two additional readings (one on immigration and one regarding the Affordable Care Act) to be used to illustrate micro and macro practice. Students are not expected to be experts on either topic, but reviewing the papers will aid discussion and prompt questions for the group to further understand micro and macro social work practice.
- Lorraine Moya Salas, Soma Sen, & Elizabeth A. Segal. Critical Theory: Pathway From Dichotomous to Integrated Social Work Practice. Families in Society: The Journal of Contemporary Social Services.
- Andrea Haidar. Social Workers and the Protection of Immigrant and Refugee Rights.
- Lena Lundgren and Ivy Krull. The Affordable Care Act: New Opportunities for Social Work to Take Leadership in Behavioral Health and Addiction Treatment. Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research.
Traditional On-Campus Program
In addition to the main orientation program on Tuesday, August 27th, traditional, on-campus students should plan to attend the "Keys to the Campus" on Wednesday, August 28th from 9am-12pm. This session will take place on the campus where you plan to take classes. Parking information can be found here.
Paul Robeson Campus Center
350 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd
2nd Floor, Bergen 255
Newark, NJ 07102
Douglass Student Center, Trayes Hall
100 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
School of Social Work Building, Room B110
217 N. Sixth Street
Camden, NJ 08102
Intensive Weekend Program
Following New Student Orientation on Tuesday, August 27th, Intensive Weekend students are to report to Center Hall for Field Day, from 12-4:30pm. In addition, Intensive Weekend students participate in the following orientation activities:
- Financial Aid Webinar: Thursday, August 29, 12-1:30pm
- Field Orientation: September 7 and 14, 9am-12:30pm
- Writing for Social Workers: September 7, 1:30-5pm and September 21/22, 9-5pm
- Jersey City for Jersey City and Parsippany students
- Mays Landing for Mays Landing and Bordentown students
A mandatory online orientation for the Blended program will be held on Monday, August 26th at 5:30 pm EST. Additional information will be provided about how to access orientation. In addition, Blended MSW students are invited to attend the on-campus New Student Orientation on Tuesday, August 27th.
100% Online Program
- 100% Online Advanced Standing: The mandatory student online orientation for 100% Online Advanced Standing Students will be held on Monday, August 26th, 2019 at 8:00 PM EST. Additional information will be provided about how to access orientation.
- 100% Online Fall Start (Cohort 19): The mandatory student online orientation will be held on Tuesday, August 27th at 7:00 PM EST. Additional information will be provided about how to access orientation.