MSW Certificate in Promoting Child & Adolescent Well-Being
The Certificate in Promoting Child & Adolescent Well-Being Certificate prepares social work students to critique and implement developmentally-informed interventions with infants, children, and adolescents, regardless of their practice specialization and across a range of domains and systems.
The spring application period runs from February 10 to April 15. This application period is reserved for Advanced Standing students beginning the Traditional MSW program in May. The link to apply is https://rutgers.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9LeTsRB5PU6enuS. Decisions will be made by April 25. Late applications will not be accepted.
Students either choose to focus their coursework and internship experience on a single child-serving system, multiple systems, or a specific youth population. Wherever they focus, they will develop and enhance skills to serve as change agents for children and adolescents in high risk environments.
Some of these area of focus are:
- Child Abuse and Neglect
- School Social Work
- Mental Health
- Gender and Sexual Diversity
- Youth with Developmental Disabilities
- Juvenile Justice
- Health and Medical Settings
- Immigrants and Refugees
- Impact of COVID Pandemic on Children
- Child and Youth Focused Social Policy
MSW students take:
- Advanced Contemporary Policy: Children and Youth
- Adolescence: Risk and Resilience OR Developmental Perspectives on Child Well-being
- At least one advanced year practice course, focused on Clinical or MAP practice with children and youth
- One of several approved electives focused on children and youth
Students also complete a two-semester field placement with guaranteed experience in a setting focused on at least one of the following areas:
- Middle childhood
- Emerging adults/transition to adulthood
Students participate in one service activity or enrichment event during the academic year that can be completed virtually. These events may include:
- Volunteer participation in a community event focused on promoting child and adolescent well-being
The certificate is now available to students enrolled in the traditional or the blended MSW programs. For more information about applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.