Violence Against Women and Children Certificate
Through its Center on Violence Against Women and Children (VAWC), the Rutgers School of Social Work is pleased to offer a certificate program for Masters in Social Work (MSW) students. The certificate program offers students the opportunity to specialize their advanced year studies on issues of violence against women and children in order to be prepared to enter the field upon graduation. Students accepted for the certificate program will receive notation of completion of the certificate program on their transcripts, as well as a physical certificate.
* Fully-online Rutgers MSW student will receive information separately from the online program. Prospective students interested in learning more about the online program should click here.
Students may apply to the VAWC certificate program while in their first year of the MSW program (regardless of part-time or full-time status). Students in the certificate must fulfill the following academic requirements:
Complete the following required VAWC coursework (12 credits):
- Violence and Abuse in Adulthood OR Violence and Abuse in Childhood ( Advanced HBSE)
- SWPS II: Violence Against Women and Children (Advanced Social Policy)
- Two electives related to violence against women and children, as approved by VAWC staff. Click for a SAMPLE list of approved electives
Advanced year field placement:
- Must be at a VAWC related placement that focuses on key areas related to violence against women and children, including prevention, practice, non-profit management, and policy.
- Placement will be arranged in conjunction with the field office and VAWC.
A note about VAWC field placement:
Students accepted into the VAWC Certificate Program are guaranteed a VAWC-relevant field placement (working in the areas of domestic violence, sexual violence, stalking, child abuse and neglect, and trafficking). We make every effort to take the interests of the students and their requested/suggested placements into account; however, we cannot guarantee that students will receive their top choice of agency or topic area.
Prior to the fall semester, there will be a mandatory orientation for all new VAWC certificate students. Dates will be sent out well in advance of the event, but it is expected that all accepted students will attend. We offer one orientation session on each of the three campuses: New Brunswick, Newark, and Camden and one for the online cohort.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 848-932-4396.
First Year (Full-time)/ Second Year (Part-time & Blended ) MSW students: October 1 to November 15
*Part Time MSW students: Must apply the fall before their advanced field placement year
Advanced Standing Students: March 1 to April 1
Application periods will vary for online Students. Students will receive information separately from the director of that program.