Research Specialist- Data Analyst
Posted on May 14, 2021
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking Data analysts for the Center for Gambling Studies, within the School of Social Work. The position provides data-analytic support and supervision for a range projects, primarily focused on large data analysis of Internet gaming and sports wagering data in New Jersey.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Constructs statistically advanced programs to foster analysis and linkage of large, sensitive state datasets, epidemiological data, and/or other data sets.
- Works under the direction of the Director and Assistant Director to implement statistical programming and data analyses for CGS projects
- Performs a variety of data-related duties to to improve and normalize data including data cleaning, documentation, quality control, data aggregation and integration.
- Provides data, programming, analytical support, and supervision for student workers and other staff/faculty accessing and utilizing the data for specific projects.
- Applies data weights, extracts subsamples from and/or merges larger data sets to facilitate statistical modeling.
- Cleans data, constructs analytic variables and develops and documents methods and procedures including codebooks and methods for scholarly articles.
- Reviews all data received from primary and secondary sources to evaluate data quality and availability over time to maintain consistency and accuracy.
- Performs other duties as required in support of the Center’s research mission.
Minimum education and experience:
- Master’s degree preferably in computer science, biostatistics, epidemiology, statistics, economics or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of data management and analysis experience in a social science or policy environment and/or training in advanced research methods and/or AI/machine learning.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proficiency with R and SAS statistical software required; STATA and SPSS suggested.
- Ability to code, extract, analyze and interpret large volumes of data using statistical and, ideally, algorithmic and machine learning tools.
- Ability to identify patterns in “big data” and interpret the to generate meaningful summaries and results.
- Exceptional organizational skills with a keen eye for detail and accuracy with superb data documentation skills.
- Ability to proactively build innovative data plans and programming to answer complex questions and to merge and/or reduce data for discrete projects across years.
- Ability to supervise all aspects of data analysis and reporting and to work well in teams.
- Ability to effectively interpret supervisor’s directions and communicate progress and problems in a timely way.
- Capacity to create visually appealing and understandable presentation of data.
- Ability to maintain data privacy and safeguard data management, in concert with the IT department at the School.
- Exceptional time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong “data hygiene” skills with an understanding of best practices for validating his/her own programs and output as well as being able to replicate and validate the work of other analysts.
- Experience working with large, complex administrative data sets.
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/132209