Skip to Content

MSW Admissions: FAQ

What are the requirements to be admitted to the MSW program?

Our Traditional, 100% Online and Intensive Weekend MSW programs offer an advanced standing option. 

  • You must be a graduate of an undergraduate School of Social Work that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

Traditional, Intensive Weekend, 100% Online and Blended Online:

  • You must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. 
  • You must demonstrate academic success in all undergraduate social work courses.
  • You must submit your undergraduate field placement evaluation as part of the MSW application process.

Can I apply to the MSW program to start in the spring semester?

  • Only the 100% Online MSW and Professional Credit Courses (PCC), our non-matriculated courses, offer a spring start.
  • The Traditional Advanced Standing Program and Online program offer a summer start.
  • The Traditional, Intensive Weekend, 100% Online and Blended programs, all begin in the fall semester.

I missed the deadline to apply to the School of Social Work. Do I have to wait until next year to apply?

You may still have the opportunity to apply to a MSW program after the MSW priority deadline date. Visit this page for more information.

You may also want to considering in enrolling in the SSW's non degree courses called Professional Credit Courses (PCC) on a non-matriculated basis. These are fully transferable courses once admitted as a matriculated student in the MSW program, but they do not guarantee admission to the program.

I have a lot of life and work experience in the field of social work. Can I apply to the Advanced Standing program?

No. Students with a Master's Degree in a related field are not eligible for Advanced Standing. However, they are able to receive transfer credits. Students can transfer in a maximum of 18 credits provided that the related course work was completed within the last 6 years and earned a grade of B or better.

Please note that students with an undergraduate degree in social work from an accredited school of social work are only eligible to apply for the advanced standing programs.

If I am an advanced standing student, do I have to start in the summer?

  • The Advanced Standing traditional MSW program starts in the summer. This means students attending as 1- or 2-year students must be prepared to begin their degree in May. 
  • Students in the Advanced Standing Intensive Weekend program begin in the fall and take one course at a time for 2 years.
  • Advanced Standing 100% Online student also begin in the fall. They complete the program in four consecutive semesters. 

I don't have a 3.0 GPA, can I still be considered for the MSW program?

Applications to the MSW program are reviewed holistically, this means we give serious consideration to all of the ways that an applicant might contribute to Rutgers' diverse education environment. 

A strong academic background is important in demonstrating your potential for success at the graduate level. If your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0, we suggest taking Professional Credit Courses (PCC) to strengthen your application. Successful completion of continuing education programs and graduate courses at other institutions can also serve to enhance your application to the school. 

Do you offer tours of campus?

Yes! We are happy to welcome prospective and newly admitted students to campus to meet with admissions professionals and current MSW students to tour the campus. Meetings and tours can typically be accommodated Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. in New Brunswick and by Appointment in Camden and Newark. 

Alternatively, Open House events are a great way to see our campus and meet faculty and representatives from the programs. Take a look at our visit us page to see all available dates and schedule a visit.

Will I earn my social work license as part of the MSW program?

Rutgers Master of Social Work programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), and satisfy the requirements for licensure in New Jersey.

Requirements for licensure vary by state, if you are interested in professional licensure in another state, please check with the appropriate licensing agency in the state where you intend to practice. Social Work licensing requirements by state can be found here

I've been admitted, what's next?

Once admitted to the MSW program, you will be required to pay a $200 tuition deposit to confirm your seat in the program. The link to pay your deposit can b e found at the bottom of your admission offer letter. Soon after your deposit is paid, you can expect to receive email communication from the Office of Student Affairs. This will provide your next steps for advising, registration and orientation.

Are financial aid and scholarships available?

Yes, financial aid is available. The School of Social Work award both merit- and need-based scholarships. Merit-based scholarships are awarded at the time of admission. If you wish to be considered for need-based scholarships, you must complete the FAFSA. We recommend applicants complete the FAFSA while completing the MSW application.

You can find more information via Rutgers Office of Financial Aid.

I was denied admission, what can I do?

Admission decisions are final, however, applicants who are denied admission to the school are welcome to apply for a future semester.

If you decide to reapply, we encourage you to review the reapplication process and also consider taking Professional Credit Courses (PCC) to strengthen your application.

Back to top