Continuing Rutgers students and transfer students should apply early in the spring semester of their sophomore year, as they are approaching the completion of general education or core requirements and 60 credits. The priority application deadline is February 15th.
In order to be considered for admission, applicants to the Undergraduate School of Social Work must have completed the following:
- First two years of their bachelor's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA. An academic improvement plan will be required of students not meeting the 3.0 GPA at the time of application to the social work major.
- Students are admitted to the major and begin required social work classes at the beginning of their junior year. Again, this is after completing most, if not all, of the University's general education or core requirements.
- Completed the pre-requisites for the Social Work major.
- Human Biology or Facts of Life (Camden)
- Basic Psychology
- Statistics for Social Science or Elementary Applied Statistics
- Introduction to Sociology
- One course from two of the following areas:
- Art, Communications/Speech, History, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Religion, Theatre
- Applying to the social work major is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Complete online application for admission to the baccalaureate social work major.
- Upload transcripts from any colleges attended into the online application.
- Submit a 1-page academic improvement plan explaining the lower GPA, demonstrating a commitment to academic excellence, and identifying a plan for academic improvement. This is only required of students not meeting the 3.0 GPA at the time of application to the social work major.
Decision and Notification
Applicants applying to the BASW program are usually informed of a decision between March and June. Applications may be reviewed more than once before a final decision is rendered. Therefore, application submission dates and decision notifications may vary. Applicants will be notified of an offer of admissions by email.