Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to apply to take non-matriculated social work classes through PCC?

Yes, you need to complete an online application through Graduate Admissions. Applicants should make sure to apply to the Social Work Non-degree program. The website is . There is a $70.00 application fee

What is the application process?

First, you must complete the online application. Once completed, submit official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions where you have enrolled. 

Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions - New Brunswick
56 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901


What is the PCC application deadline?

Priority PCC Application Deadlines:
Fall: August 15
Spring: January 1
Summer: May 1
All supporting documents must be submitted by the 15th of the deadline month to be considered for admission. 

What are the required TOEFL and IELTS scores?

The minimum Paper based TOEFL score is 550

The minimum Computer based TOEFL score is 213

The minimum IBT-internet based TOEFL is as follows:
Writing 22
Speaking 23
Reading 21
Listening 17
The acceptable IELTS score is bandwidth 7.

How can I check the status of my application?

Go to and click on the "Application Status" tab on the left hand side of the page.

How long will it take to find out if I was admitted into the PCC program?

Decisions are made on completed applications within 2-3 weeks of submission.  Keep in mind, all supporting materials must be submitted in order to be considered. Applicants should check their Application Status page to ensure that all official transcripts have been submitted.

What class do you recommend to begin with if I never took a PCC in the past?

There is no particular sequence to follow. Human Behavior in the Social Environment, Diversity and Oppression, or Social Welfare Policy and Service would all be a good place to start.

What sequence do you recommend I take PCC in if I plan to apply to the Rutgers MSW degree program?

Below is a list of courses offered through the PCC program and the semester they are offered through the MSW degree program. PCC students taking more than one PCC course who plan to apply to the MSW degree program may want to consider taking courses listed under both the fall and spring semester. Again, this is optional as PCC students are not required to follow any specific course sequencing.

Fall Semester

  • Human Behavior and the Social Environment
  • Social Welfare Policies and Services I
  • Diversity and Oppression
Spring Semester
  • Psychopathology
  • Methods of Social Work Research I
  • General Elective

How long do I have to live in New Jersey to be considered a resident?

Please visit where you will find the residency policy.

What is the procedure for students receiving unemployment benefits?

If you are currently receiving unemployment tuition waiver benefits, you must visit your local unemployment office before the semester begins to determine if you qualify, get application, and obtain approval.

Please note: Students receiving unemployment benefits must wait until the first day of the semester to register for class(es) in person at the Office of the Graduate Registrar (see address below)

Office of the Graduate Registrar
65 Davidson Road, Rooms 200 A
 Busch Campus Center
 Piscataway, NJ 08854

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Do I follow Rutgers vacation schedule or the off-campus site schedule?

You would follow the off-campus site's closings. Your instructor will discuss location closings information during the first class of the semester.

Where do I find out about an emergency school closing?

School closing information is usually provided on the main Rutgers Web site.  You will also be provided with a contact point on the first day of class.

How do I get my RUID number and how long is it valid?

You will receive your RUID within 24-48 hours after you complete you online graduate non-degree application. Your RUID is valid for six years.

Where do I get my RUconnection card (picture ID)?

Please visit or call (848) 932-4850 for information and hours.

How much does it cost to attend?

Please review the New Brunswick Graduate Student Tuition rates

Here is a tuition estimator calculator

Can I work out a payment plan?

There are payment plans available through University Accounting Services. For more information or to enroll, visit the Student Accounting Financial Services website at

When is the tuition due?

Rutgers University requires payment of tuition and fee charges by the Term Bill due date which is August 6th for the Fall semester and by January 4th for the spring semester. Students who register after the first due date but before the first day of class are given approximately two weeks from the day they register to pay. Continuing students who register on or after the first day of class are expected to pay their term bills on the day they register.

Is there a late fee if I do not pay my tuition by the due date?

Yes, you will be charged a late fee of $125 if you do not pay your tuition according to the Univerisity guidelines.

Am I eligible for financial aid or student loans?

As a non-degree student, you are ineligible for financial aid; however, you may be eligible for student loans. You must contact the Office of Financial Aid at 848-932-7057 or visit their website at to obtain this information.

Why do I have to pay the computer fee even though my classes are off campus?

As per University policy, all students, regardless of status, are required to pay a computer fee. This computer fee also provides student access to many online Rutgers services, such as library resources, grades, and e-mail.

Can I take a course if I have a balance from last semester?

No, there will be a financial hold on your account if you have a balance from previous semesters. 

What is the refund policy (reduction of tuition)?

A student who voluntarily withdraws from ALL courses during the first six weeks of a term will receive a partial reduction of tuition and fees (campus, school, and computer) according to the week of withdrawal as follows:

  1. First to second week: 80 %
  2. Third to fourth week: 60%
  3. Fifth to sixth week: 40%

No reduction is granted after the sixth week. The effective date of withdrawal is the date on which a written statement of withdrawal is received by the PCC office. Please e-mail all withdrawal requests to Student, campus and course fees are non-refundable.  There will be no reduction of tuition charges after the add/drop period, to students who withdraw from one or more courses, but remain registered in other classes. Failure to attend class is not a withdrawal and students will not receive adjustment of charges if they do not attend class.

How do I obtain a NET ID? What is it used for?

Visit for information about NET ID and to set-up your account. A NET ID gives you access to your grades, allows you to change your personal access code (PAC), update your address online, and request transcripts.

How do I access my grade?

You can access your grade online from the Rutgers, Office of the Registrar's website at Click on "View Grades." In order to access your grades, you will need a NET ID.

Who could I contact if I have additional questions?

Please email us at

Back to top