Explore Careers in Social Work & Aging
Navigating employment opportunities in social work and aging can be exciting and overwhelming. Because there are so many places where older adults and their caregivers might receive help from formal professionals, there are many places to begin looking for work in this area.
To help those with interests in social work and aging to get a better sense of the employment market in aging, Jennifer Smejkal (Rutgers School of Social Work's 2010-2011 MSW Research Assistant for the Programs on Aging) interviewed professionals with experience hiring social workers in aging-focused settings. Click on the links below to learn more about employment in each of these settings, as well as how to go about finding a position in these settings.
Listed below are websites to search for current opportunities. Also, don't forget to check the School of Social Work's job opportunities website here.
- Career opportunities with the Administration on Aging
- Search for jobs with AARP
- Career opportunities with the Alzheimer's Association
- American Society on Aging Career Advantage website
- Socialservice.com - contains social work and other social service positions
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging - Online job board for jobs in aging services
- NASW Job search engine
- National Association of States United for Aging and Disabilities (NASUAD) Job announcements
Job Interview Tips
- Dress professionally and neatly.
- Be prompt, or even arrive a little early.
- Have a firm handshake and make eye contact. Always be polite.
- Smile and be positive. Highlight your strengths and best qualities.
- Be familiar with your resume, and be prepared to discuss anything on it. Bring extra copies of your resume in case you are asked for it at the interview.
- Take time to think through your answers. Avoid using words such as "like" and "uh," and instead take time to collect your thoughts.
- Ask questions.
- Always remember to say thank you, ask for a business card, and send a thank you email promptly.
- For more job interview tips, click here.