MSW Certificate for LISTA
LISTA: Latina/o/x Initiatives for Service, Training, and Assessment
Rutgers’ Master of Social Work (MSW) Certificate Program in Latina/o/x Initiatives for Service, Training, and Assessment (LISTA) was designed to give future practitioners the ability to provide culturally informed and responsive services to Latina/o/x populations.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2021 estimates, approximately 20.9% of New Jersey’s population and 28.9% of New York City’s population are Latina/o/x. As these communities grow, knowledgeable social workers who specialize in serving them will see career opportunities across a variety of sectors such as healthcare, schools, family services, local government, and more.
Earning a LISTA certificate alongside your MSW degree ensures you can practice evidence-based, culturally responsive strategies that benefit the lives of Latina/o/x populations in the greater NYC area and beyond.
LISTA Social Work Certificate Program Information
The MSW Certificate in LISTA aims to meet the need for social work practitioners trained in issues and contexts specific to Latina/o/x populations. You’ll learn to adapt evidence-based interventions and assessments for social work practice with Latina/os. In addition, you will learn about new models of culturally informed practices with Latina/os. The LISTA Certificate program builds these skills through real-world experience:
- LISTA requires four courses to provide education on effective, culturally responsive social work practice:
- Latinos: Culture, Community, and Social Welfare
- Social Work Practice with Latinos
- Advanced Clinical Practice: Behavioral Health with Latinos (required for students with a clinical specialization)
- You may choose from an approved list of electives as your final course (or final 2 courses if a student with a MAP specialization).
- Internships in Latina/o/x serving agencies
- Experiential learning through opportunities to study abroad in Latin American countries
- Access to a community of alumni professionals for mentoring relationships through the LISTA Links mentoring initiative
This program in Latina/o/x social work practice can be pursued by students:
- In both the Management and Policy (MAP) or in Clinical Social Work (CSW) specialization
- In the traditional, blended, 100% online, or advanced standing MSW programs
- On any of the three Rutgers campuses (Camden, Newark, or New Brunswick)
- Who have enrolled either part or full time
Whether you earn your MSW online or in person, the LISTA Certificate extends your social work training and enables you to gain practical experience in providing service to Latina/o/x communities.
MSW Certificate Program Curriculum
The Latina/o/x social work certificate program consists of four courses in addition to your MSW requirements. Depending on your MAP or CSW specialization track, you’ll take courses that build skills relevant to your future career.
Review complete requirements and curriculum for LISTA, including course descriptions and a model of how they fit into two-year and four-year MSW formats.
Social Work Internship Serving Latina/o/x Communities
If you earn a LISTA social work certificate alongside your Master of Social Work, you’ll spend your field placement in an internship working for an approved agency that serves Latina/o/x populations.
Through your LISTA-specialized field education, you’ll gain hands-on experience developing your ability to engage with Latina/o/x individuals, families, and groups. You’ll also put into practice social work interventions or initiatives that aid the Latina/o/x community, interpreting the impact of sociopolitical and cultural factors while acknowledging clients and communities as experts of their own lived experiences.
LISTA Social Work Certificate Scholarships
In addition to paid assistantships and financial aid offerings through the School of Social Work, students in the LISTA Certificate program can compete for various annual scholarships and stipends.
Learn More About LISTA at Rutgers
Rutgers’ Latina/o/x social work certificate program hosts informative panels, webinars, and events exploring current issues and new knowledge affecting the profession and the population.
Meet the LISTA Advisory Board
Advisory Board members ensure the LISTA curriculum continues to address the needs of the Latina/o/x community.
MSW Mentorship Program: LISTA Links
Develop and expand your professional skills under the mentorship of a Latina/o/x Rutgers Social Work alum.
Hear from LISTA Alumni
In this video, Francesca Baroni shares her experience as a LISTA student and how it prepared her for her career.
Apply to the LISTA MSW Certificate
Rutgers’ LISTA Certificate program advances and demonstrates to future employers your effectiveness and breadth of experience working with Latina/o/x populations as a social work practitioner. Review MSW application requirements to get started.
- Apply to Rutgers’ LISTA Certificate Program as an Advanced Standing MSW candidate from February 15-April 15. Access the LISTA application.
- The application period varies for prospective students interested in earning an online MSW with a LISTA certificate. When you apply to the Blended or 100% Online MSW, indicate your interest in LISTA, and the program director will provide application information separately.
- For current Traditional MSW or Blended MSW program students entering advanced field the following year, the application period begins in the fall.
Seeking Agencies for MSW Field Placement
Rutgers School of Social Work is seeking agencies that would like to provide field placements and stipends for MSW students, many bilingual, who have special training in working with Latina/o/x and Spanish-speaking populations.
If you would like to provide a sponsored MSW field placement for a LISTA student, please contact Elsa Candelario at firstname.lastname@example.org.