MSW Blended Online Program
The most affordable online option for New Jersey residents, the MSW blended online program offers significant flexibility, as well as the benefits of a live classroom experience to acquire advanced practice skills and competencies.
The blended online program is completed in three years. In the first two years, classes are offered solely online in an asynchronous format and include regularly scheduled assignments and due dates. In the third year, there is a combination of in-person and online classes. For in-person courses, students can choose from a flexible schedule of daytime and evening classes at any of our three campuses in New Brunswick, Camden, or Newark.
Field placement begins in the third semester of the program and continues through your final year. You can choose to specialize in either Clinical Social Work or Management and Policy in the third year. Field education is an essential pedagogical component of your MSW education. As you plan your course of study, explore the many field education options available to you.
We offer several certificate programs designed to give you the necessary skills and knowledge in key areas of practice. Learn from dynamic instructors who are chosen for their expertise and real-world experience.
Explore these certificate programs that are open to you:
- Aging and Health Certificate Program
- Violence Against Women and Children Certificate Program
- Promoting Child and Adolescent Well-Being
- LISTA (Latina/o/x Initiatives for Service, Training, and Assessment)
Area of Emphasis
In addition to the specialization requirements, you may also wish to develop an area of emphasis. The area of emphasis is a student-identified and student-driven topic, population, or specialization and involves three relevant courses and a field placement. The courses may include a combination of electives, advanced distribution requirements, and an advanced social policy course. These courses also count toward general academic requirements.
Some examples of popular areas of emphasis include:
- Social Policy
- International Social Work
- Children, Youth and Families
- Mental and Behavioral Health
- Health Area of Emphasis
Use these links to access important information relevant to your studies:
- Application Information
- FAQs about Online Learning
- Tuition and Fees
- Three-Year Curriculum (for students beginning in fall 2021)
- New Three-Year Curriculum (for students beginning in fall 2022)
- eCollege, our Center for Online and Hybrid Learning and Instructional Technologies
For further information, email us at Admissions@ssw.rutgers.edu or call us at 848-932-7520.