Bachelor of Arts in Social Work Admissions
Students should apply early in the spring of their sophomore year. The application deadline is March 15th.
There is no admission to the BASW Program for the spring semester.
In order to be considered for admission, applicants to the Undergraduate School
of Social Work must have completed the following:
- First two years of their bachelor's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Students are admitted to the major at the beginning of their junior year,
after completing ALL of the University's General Education Requirements (60
credits, including Math, Foreign Language, etc.).
Completed the pre-requisites for the Social Work major.
- Human Biology or Facts of Life (Camden)
- Basic Psychology
- Statistics for Social Science or Elementary Applied Statistics
- Introduction to Sociology
- One course from the two following areas:
- Art, Communications/Speech, Literature, History
- Music, Philosophy, Religion, Theatre
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are submitted to the appropriate office by the application deadline.
Applications are considered complete and will be reviewed only when ALL of the following materials have been received:
- Application for Admission to the Baccalaureate Social Work Program: Applications are available for download in PDF format.
- Two current recommendations (1 academic and 1 professional): Recommendation forms are provided on the application. Recommendations should be current and come from individuals who are familiar with your academic and professional experiences and abilities. We recommend that you seek recommendations from faculty members. If this is not possible, or you have been out of school for more than a short time, consider asking individuals who are able to address your current work, abilities and your potential to succeed in graduate school and in the field of social work. The most valuable references come from those individuals with whom you have worked or volunteered with in some capacity. We are looking for specific information regarding your academic and intellectual abilities, work performance and potential. Letters from friends, family, or professionals that you know on an exclusively social basis are not acceptable.
- Undergraduate Transcript: Applicants must submit one copy of their transcript (it may be unofficial), from all post-secondary institutions that have been attended. Please send transcripts for any colleges attended.
- Personal Statement: The personal statement is a critical part of your admission application because it gives us the opportunity to review your writing skills and provides us with a great deal of information about you, your experiences and goals. Make sure that the personal statement is well written and in your own words. There is no particular format required except that the statement is typed. Respond to the following questions in a three to five page typed narrative (500 word minimum):
- What directed your interest to this profession? Provide examples from personal life experiences.
- What are your goals in entering the field of social work? Identify social problems to be addressed.
- What are your personal strengths and special life circumstances that enable you to study and practice in the field of Social Work?
- Resume: Although a resume is NOT required, you are highly encouraged to include a current resume with your application materials.
Decision and Notification
Applicants applying for the BASW program are usually informed of a decision
between March and June. Applications may be reviewed more than once before a
final decision is rendered. Therefore, application submission dates and decision
notifications may vary. Applicants will be notified of an offer of admissions by
The School consistently receives more qualified applications than
it has available space. Therefore, once an applicant receives an offer of
admissions, they must confirm their plans to attend the program.